More than 97% of nonprofits are on social media but I once read that only about 12% have social media policies. This means that in most cases, staff is operating without formal guidance. In many cases, the executive director is not technologically savvy and feels ill equipped to provide guidance – or so she thinks.
The risks posed to nonprofits as the result of social media can be substantial. Major risks include labor relations issues, privacy/confidentiality issues, HR issues (everything from discrimination allegations in hiring/firing to non-exempt time logs), brand image concerns, and more. These apply to all nonprofits but are more concerning for those doing direct client outreach online.
I’ve created this page to help nonprofits learn about social media policies and other relavent topics. Please enjoy the information on the site. Share it with others, and, of course, contact me if I can be of any assistance. I’d love to talk with you.
- Sample Social Media Policies
- More Sample Social Media Policies
- 10 Must Haves for Social Media Policies - blog from Mashable
- 5 Things to Consider – Workforce Management article
- Best Practices
- Tips for Social Media Policies - blog from NTEN
- Beth Kanter’s Social Media Policy Page
- 10 Tips for Creating Social Media Policies
- Social Media Policies – 6 Mistakes NOT to make
- Social Media Policies – Create Your Team – skill sets you want at the table
- Social Media Policies – from 175 to 5 - how to whittle down the list
- Quitting and Leaving with the Online Rolodex! – how to protect your database
Thoughts for Leadership
- Companies looking to capitalize – Workforce Managment article
- Facebook Firings and Labor Relations – Nonprofit Quarterly article
- Legal Experts Stress that Social Media Background Checks Create Risks – Workforce Management article
- LinkedIn Policies Could Create a Legal Rift – Workforce Management article
- National Labor Relations Board - memo released 8/18/11 concerning 14 social media related cases
- Protect Your Business Identity on Twitter
- Social Media History Becomes New Job Hurdle – NYT article
- Social Media in the Workplace – a survey
- You Cannot Take Your Online Contacts With You – HBR article
- How BBC lost 60,000 followers
Nonprofit Related Resources
- How to Craft a Social Media Policy - Chronicle of Philantropy
- Social Media Handbook for Red Cross Field Units
Overall Cyber Security
Bookmark this page. It will be updated regularly with tips, resources, and ideas. If you have information to share, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let me help you develop policies and educate staff. Call me at 858-354-4547 or email email@example.com.